At our recent Vegetarian Thanksgiving Feast Tasting on November 13th we offered some samples of a vegetarian holiday Walnut Loaf made by our deli.
On our Facebook page, Dierdra asked if we could post the recipe – so here it is!
- 1 cup Chopped Onion (about 1 medium Onion)
- 2 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 Tbsp White Wine, such as Reisling
- 1 1/2 cups Crushed Walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cups Cooked Grain (Brown Rice, Quinoa, or Pearled Barley are good choices)
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1/3 cup Tamari
- 4 tsp dried Sage or Thyme
- 1/4 cup White Rice Flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the Onions until they turn translucent – about 5 to 7 minutes
- Add the Garlic and sauté for about 1 minute until the Garlic becomes fragrant
- Add the White Wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the bottom
- Add the contents of the pan to all the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Scoop into a casserole dish and back for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown.