Ling Cod in Tomato Sauce with Fresh Herbs
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb Ling Cod or True Cod steaks
- Sea salt
- Gluten-free flour for dusting
- 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 2 T. fresh chopped dill, or basil
- 3 T. olive oil, for sauteing the fish
Make the Sauce:
- Add three tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and heat it over high heat for a minute or two. Add the chopped onion and saute over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic clove and saute for another minute or two. Add the tomatoes and cumin and stir to combine. Test for salt, and add some if needed.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it boil down for 10-15 minutes; you want a thick sauce and you’ll need to evaporate a lot of water.
- Once the sauce is done, turn off the heat and set aside.
- In another pan, heat 3 more tablespoons of olive oil over high heat.
Prepare the Fish:
- Dust your Ling Cod steaks in flour and tap off excess.
- Turn the heat down to medium and saute your fish, skin side down if there is skin on them. Cook this way for 5-10 minutes, or until you see the cooked portion of the fish reach about halfway up the sides. Don’t let it cook too fast or you will burn the surface. Take your time.
- Flip the fish and cook the other side until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- To serve, spread some tomato sauce on the plate and top with the fish. Sprinkle fresh dill on top as a garnish.